Sunday, September 11, 2016

What I Learned: Day 1

I learned that while “digital learning” is a fairly straightforward concept, the “design” part has many definitions and interpretations. Designing is different than planning, arranging, building, or reconstructing. I just assumed in this class “technology” meant computers and such, but technology can be a wide range of things and focuses on communication.

I learned that I already know a ton of things and how to use them, which is heartening. I will learn to embrace new possibilities while accepting restraints.

I learned about the four Ps: Principles, Processes, Patterns, and Paraphernalia. If you have an L-shaped kitchen, you need a scalene triangle arrangement for your fridge, sink, and stove. Granite countertops are a lifelong investment, unless you want to tear out your cabinets to replace your counter.

This means that I will need to keep an open mind and give things a try – I like lists and rules and schedules, but I can’t reject any new ideas just because I like how things are. Designing is a lengthy process that needs to be done BEFORE the teaching, not as I’m going along.


In order to execute whatever new design I end up having, I need to plan ahead. My subject area is very lax when it comes to lesson planning, because I have 18 classes that I see once a week each. They are different sizes and have different instrumentations, so they will progress and recall things at very different rates. Wherever we left off last week is where we start again, so it makes planning ahead multiple weeks tough. On the bright side, this gives me 18 groups to try out new ideas on to see what works and what doesn't!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey! I enjoyed your blog post and agree that designing is a lengthy process. I'm wondering if you are a music teacher, because I am a music teacher and I see all of the elementary classes. It is hard when your subject area is lax, but I try to see the long range goals and keep those in mind as I design the lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacey! Now that I'm a museum educator, I don't work with students in the same way as I did a year ago as a 7-12 teacher, but I still like to apply what we learn in class to that realm. I think back to the schools I've worked in, and they were lax planning environments like you've described. I think that can be really exciting. If no one is holding your feet to the fire to follow a prescribed curriculum, you can try all sorts of things! I miss my video production class for that reason. They were a great guineau pig for lesson ideas for me. I wrote the course and could really try out new designs and lessons there. It sounds like your music class is a great environment for that. I like what you said about technology. We're used to thinking of tech as high tech! It's exciting to think about good design as purposefully using whatever tools we have available, whether it's ProTools or a metronome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Stacey. I too learned there is a difference between planning and designing. I hadn't really thought of it in such different terms. I like your enthusiasm and willingness to see that you have 18 opportunities to try out new ideas! While there is a rigidity to learning music and proper notes, tempo and pace, and then you've got your part to play a certain way while trying to be in concert with everyone around you, I see how keeping a certain structure is helpful in putting all of those pieces together. I like your willingness to be flexible when it comes to presenting your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Stacey. I look forward to following your blog this semester, and am excited to know that our group is made up of teachers with the special circumstance of not having just one class of students as classroom teacher does, but have many classes of different grade levels. I am envious of you only having 18 classes as I have 40 classes, grades K-5. I agree with your statement that, "Designing is a lengthy process that needs to be done BEFORE the teaching, not as I’m going along." Like you, I do not have the luxury of having only one class of students at the same grade level, nor do I see them everyday. I actually only see kindergarten and first grade weekly, and see grades 2-5 every other week, so designing authentic lessons that take multiple class sessions and weeks to complete is very challenging. I'm curious, you mentioned that your subject area was lax in lesson planning, but does your school/county have any learning objectives or guidelines for the music curriculum that you are to cover?

    ReplyDelete