Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Information Diet

The Information Diet was stressful for me to read. For so much of it I was thinking, “well of course” and the rest I was thinking, “no don’t tell me this!” Especially that since as I type this, the sensor in my classroom noticed a lack of motion so it shut the lights off on me. I’ve been sitting for too long and it’s apparently killing me.

It’s like when I’m hungry and lazy and I just want to eat some Lucky Charms. Don’t tell me how many calories are in it or how it’s 95% sugar. I’m going to eat it anyway, but now I’m going to feel terrible about eating it. That’s how my information consumption is. You can tell me that watching Mad Max for the 17th time is not a productive use of my day, but I’m going to watch it anyway.

What I didn’t really like was that the farther I got through it, the more I felt like I was being scolded for my use of media. I know I spend too much time scrolling through Facebook throughout the day, but I get all my work done regardless. Trashy TV is not at all making me smarter or more informed, but it’s an entertaining way to de-stress and I don’t have to expend a lot of energy or mental focus.


That being said, the book had so many great things to say. The way it was written was funny and lighthearted, and once again reminded me that if we can’t laugh at ourselves then life is going to be pretty rough. The Information Diet should be standard reading material for every adult out there – most people I know could use a refresher on how to review their information that they get so worked up about.

1 comment:

  1. Mad Max. Great! I didn't get that sense of 'preachiness' to it that you got, but I did find myself saying, didn't we go over this already. Yes a must read especially when it seems like there is so much information out these days that is buzz words or written with an agenda that takes away from our own critical thinking and doesn't allow room for us to form our own views of what to think. Reading this book did feel like I was putting some fresh oil into the ol' BS detector!

    ReplyDelete